Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Stabilization of Dorsal Spine


I had a difficult case to manage independently in the very early post M.Ch period in the recent past.
A case of a 40 year male with a history of fall from a height of 20 feet and having total paraplegia and absent bowel and bladder sensation.
I thought of stabilizing the spine as I can mobilize the patient early and prevent the complications so forth. My experience with with Stabilization of dorsal spine with D2 to D5 screws and rods is very minimal as I had not done a similar case individually earlier.
With good home work I started the case and I could manage to do it reasonably good and safe. I had difficulty in identifying the starting point of the Pedicle screws and the land marks were not clearly visble. But with a little wider exposure I could make out the starting points and rest all went good under fluoro guidence. I had some more difficulty in decompressing the canal when I was trying to remove the anterior compression. But could manage adequate decompression at the end.


Post operatively patient didn't show good improvement and remained Grade 0 all through with no bowel and bladder sensations. POst OP period was uneventful and patient was discharged in a stable state.

0 comments: